An internal Facebook report leaked this year, for example, revealed that the company can identify when teens feel “insecure”, “worthless” and “need a confidence boost”. Such granular information, Harris adds, is “a perfect model of what buttons you can push in a particular person”.
Cook states that the key to effective recordkeeping “lies in being able to determine, sometimes long after the fact, not only the content but also the context of a record in question.” And Cook has studied cases in which lack of context made electronic records useless.
Thus, health screening should only be recommended when five criteria are satisfied:
(1) the burden of illness should be high,
(2) the tests for screening and confirmation should be accurate,
(3) early treatment (or prevention) must be more effective than late treatment,
(4) the test(s) and treatment(s) must be safe, and
(5) the cost of the screening strategy must be commensurate with potential benefit.
On any given day in the United States, at least 137,000 peoplesit behind bars on simple drug-possession charges, according to a report released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Unionand Human Rights Watch.
Nearly two-thirds of them are in local jails. The report says thatmost of these jailed inmates have not been convicted of any crime: They're sitting in a cell, awaiting a day in court, an appearance that may be months or even years off, because they can't afford to post bail.